Now that fall is here and school is back in session, do you know what school your family attends and what is being taught? Does your child or any member of your family attend the school mentioned below? Check out these statistics:
“As an educational institution, _______School is by far the most successful school system in the history of the world.
- Community Involvement: Nearly 99% of the nation’s population is enrolled in _______ School, unequalled in history. No nation has ever had so many students voluntarily enrolled in the education system.
- Dropout Rates: Rarely do we find those who drop out of the _______ School. No mandatory attendance laws exist. This school does not have an attendance officer.
- Class Times: Classes are offered 24 hours per day, 365 days a year. The school never closes – unparalled in history.
- Tuition: Hundreds of classes are taken each week free of charge, with others offered for a small monthly fee.
- Babysitter: For those with small children, the school provides free babysitting service.
- Basis of School Support: Businesses pay school officials huge sums of money, which allows them to come into the home classrooms and try to sell products to the students. Teachers (actors) are paid by these businesses. These teacher/actors are the highest paid teachers in the history of the world.
- Time in Class: The average American spends approximately 28 hours per week in _______ classes.
- Class Offerings: No school system has ever offered such a variety of classes. Students can choose from classes in music, games, drama, dancing, local news, world news, nature, religion, murder, rape, drug use, immorality, profanity, and so on.
- Teachers Characteristics: While there are many teachers with high moral standards, there are also many who would never be allowed to teach in public schools because of their immoral lifestyles.
- Consequence: When we turn on the knob, we enter a class.”
(From Power Parenting in the LDS Home by Randal A. Wright, PhD)
Any guesses? This “school” is TV! Surprised or does it all make sense? The American Academy of Pediatrics study shared that “by the time the average person reaches age 70, he or she will have spent the equivalent of 7 to 10 years of their lives watching television.” Eek! Is that what you want to be doing with the precious time you have in this life? Is the TV what you want to teach your children and your family?
This post holds no judgement, only encourages reflection and hopes to inspire, uplift and change. As a parent, the special spirits you were entrusted with are your responsibility. Please, don’t take it lightly. Start a #digitaldetox in your home and build family relations, time well spent with an eternal impact.